by Johann Wolfgang Goethe
ISBN 978-0-14-044503-9
It's a pity that solace found in nature was not enough to sustain Werther.
“A wonderful serenity has taken possession of my entire soul, like these sweet mornings of spring which I enjoy with my whole heart. I am alone, and feel the charm of existence in this spot, which was created for the bliss of souls like mine.” - Werther
With this in mind;
Kundera portrays love as fleeting, haphazard and perhaps based on endless strings of coincidences, despite holding such significance for humans.
Wether is a soft sapling
His whoas me ueber romantic, weakness annoyed me. Although I know how it is, I've been there but I have realized that its pathetic. Get a grip, get some personal strength and move on; through the valley of darkness to the light...
and this too shall pass...
Throughout the story I wondered, why is Arthur and Lotte leading Werther on and indulging his feelings?
I was beginning to think they had a menage et trio going on.
Then finally on page 115 Lotte shows some sense (reason) and confronts Werther on his "dismal attachment", she offers advice and solutions and acknowledges that she likes his attention, admits selfish intent.
I also wondered "what could a woman who is so adored be like?" I envy the qualities, whatever they may be. I feel the same way about woman who's adoring husbands dedicate books to them and praise them on award shows.
The word 'young' may be a clue. Werther did not want to grow up, he was stubborn and was acting like a martyr, dying for his cause; a sufferer of unrequited love, and in the end causing pain and sorrow to others.
Werther identified himself with his suffering. As Lotte pointed out, "what makes the desire to possess me so attractive is its very impossibility." (115)
I doubt that even if Lotte had chose Werther that it would have been a happy ending for him.
In regards to Werther not fitting in or finding his place between the classes; feelings of marginalization, displacement and ostracization are enough to make me sleep for days to avoid
My great grandfather said "It is a good life if you don't weaken."
http://jamesharfordeuro3301.wordpress.com/2012/09/21/seminar-6-epistolary-extremes-goethes-werther/
Lukacs believes that the same laws and institutions which serve the development of individuality in the narrow class sense of the bourgeoise are simulatenously merciless detroyers of the real development of personality. While the capitalist division of labour forms the material basis of developed personality and civilisation, it simultaneously subjugates the human being and fragments his personality into lifeless specialisation
In the end society and people will let you down unless you are good at the game. If you fall victim to the relentless bombardment of disappointment and feelings of hopelessness, then shame on society, you have been let down. Like the runt that is left to die.
However, you can choose to stay in the game or take a nap, the sun will come out tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment