Sunday, 31 March 2013

Keys


How many doors can you unlock? What is your access? After our fire our keys were useless. I had no key for any door. I did not have access to my home or belongings. Cast adrift in an instant. No room to call my own, not even a toothbrush. Of course with a credit card this can all be replaced quickly but in that fleeting moment I felt the impact. Recently I heard someone speak about the suspended time in between...
The power of access. opening doors, passing over the threshold. When I am out and on my way home there is only one house in the whole wide world that I have keys to enter and that's my sanctuary.
Being entrusted with keys has its own impact, it's a statement that you are trustworthy.


Access to Public bathrooms are also interesting, customers only - not for the poor, homeless...we let them urinate in the street because the stench is not a problem for us when we are out shopping?

The public bathroom stall is a chance to be somewhat alone in the crowd in the city.
In New York I had an incredible sensation that in this massive old complex city of sewers, underground and layer upon layer of architecture, old tile and metal;  in the bathroom I was alone, encapsulated in the bowels of the city.


Once in Wyoming I was sponge bathing in a public bathroom (was at the rainbow gathering) and a patron was banging on the door screaming "she's bathing in there!" Personally I did not see the problem but....

Access to clean water to clean ourselves...

No comments:

Post a Comment