Saturday, 3 November 2012

Descartes again



Descartes on an Albanian Stamp
"I Think I Thought I Saw You Thinking"
my friend Anthony said to me once.


WOW!! A Curve Bank!
 http://curvebank.calstatela.edu/descartes/descartes.htm


I can not say for sure because I am not courageous or informed enough to come up with original ideas, arguments etc..yet...


But

In my humble opinion...

I do think it was a "tactical nod" on Descartes part to have the result of his method prove Gods existence.

I think that he wanted to prove that his method was infallible and if by using the method one can prove that God exists then it must be infallible.

To my knowledge math and science are about proving hypothesis; if this then that; the methods have structure, steps, factors etc..with the intention to prove the "theory"

I took 15 pages of notes in class on Descartes and came to the conclusion that it is a mind game.

It's a challenge to thought processes.




Stamp
Issued by France in 1996 to commemorate the
400th anniversary of Descartes' birth.




 Stamp
Issued by France in 1937 in commemoration of the third centenary
of the publication of  Discours de la Méthode.





From Curve Bank website

Math's birthday is aproaching!
"The concept of analytic geometry came to Descartes in a dream on November 10, 1619;  thus, this day marks the official birthday of modern mathematics. "

"Descartes supported a cosmic scheme based on vortices.  He seemingly tried to avoid the raging controversy between Galileo and the papacy in Italy."

cool cosmology timeline that includes Descartes


No comments:

Post a Comment