![]() |
| Woman's March on Versaille Note the wall behind the woman |
![]() |
| The Berlin Wall |
I was thinking about the difference in violent change (France, 1789 ) versus, relatively peaceful change (Berlin, 1989)
Womans march on Versaille, October,05,1789
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_March_on_Versailles
Peaceful Revolution in East Germany
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peaceful_revolution_(German)
I remember my friend, Chris Gunn at SFU, Burnaby, telling me that the Berlin Wall had fallen. I did not have TV (four years without) so I did not see any images.
My thought was, "perhaps this is good for world peace", but I felt sad that Capitalism did not have a opponent.
Little did I know that six years later I would be living in the former East Berlin, a short distance from where history happened on Bornholmer Strasse.
I feel sad not having been part of such a momentuous event, however, this historical event is a part of my son's history.
The first images I saw were in 1995 and they still make me cry.
Film by Carsten
2008
November, 09, 1989
It's always the small people who change things.
It's never the politicians or the big guys. I mean, who pulled down the Berlin wall? It was all the people in the streets. The specialists didn't have a clue the day before.


No comments:
Post a Comment