![]() |
| Mary Wollstonecraft
Born: April 27, 1759, Spitalfields
|
A Vindication of the Rights of Woman
By Mary Wollstonecraft
Published 1792
ISBN -13: 978-0-141-44125-2
Rights, Equality and Individuality are BIG topics and it is a work in progress.
By Mary Wollstonecraft
Published 1792
ISBN -13: 978-0-141-44125-2
Rights, Equality and Individuality are BIG topics and it is a work in progress.
I think we are progressing slow and steady.
Q1
or men are the "yang"to woman's "yin"
I sometimes wish there were more choices
I do not think duality is unhelpful, it is needed for balance.
Although it is not always harmonious
perhaps evolution requires friction
Q2
A. Oddly I did not hold it against Rousseau that he gave up his children.
So, for me I was not affected negatively in regards to receiving his ideas.
B. Throughout this course I have tried to understand what the message is in the text, what the author is trying to say; not to oppose or critique it. Although I prefer some texts over others. I am a newborn just figuring out what's going on before I piece together my own ideas.
C. I have been surprised at my lack of emotion , usually settling for the reasoning , "well that's how it was back then."
Q3
Sensibility means how I respond to ideas, actions etc...
The filter I use to determine right from wrong, moral compass etc...
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/sensibilitysensibility
Pronunciation: /ˌsɛnsɪˈbɪlɪti/
noun
[ mass noun]
http://www.users.muohio.edu/mandellc/eng441/snsbl.htm
The possessor of sensibility was likely to consider himself a rare exception among men, and to deplore--and treasure--his special affliction. One frequently meets such exclamations as the following: `Sensibility, thou source of human woes, thou aggrandiser of evils, had I not been possessed of thee, how calmly might my days have passed! Yet I would not part with thee for worlds. . . .' Mary Wollstonecraft's definition of sensibility . . . is typical: `To give the shortest definition of sensibility, replied the sage [in her tale, "The Cave of Fancy," Posthumous Works 1798], I should say that it is the result of acute senses, finely fashioned nerves, which vibrate at the slightest touch, and convey such clear intelligence to the brain, that it does not require to be arranged by the judgment. Such persons instantly enter into the characters of others, and instinctively discern what will give pain to every human being; their own feelings are so varied that they seem to contain in themselves, not only all the passions of the species, but their various modifications. Exquisite pain and pleasure is their portion; nature wears for them a different aspect than is displayed to common mortals.' (p. 101)
http://www.gradesaver.com/a-vindication-of-the-rights-of-woman/study-guide/section5/
Reason must be the same in men and women since it originates from a divine source, the Creator
A mind cannot be expected to expand when it is not threatened by adversity or the pursuit of knowledge "goaded on by necessity." The business of a woman's life is pleasure, but she will not gain wisdom from it.
The female sex is not much different than the rich because they are born with a set of privileges. Women are used to company and are rarely alone; this leads to the predominance of sentiments, not passions. They are not able to think and ruminate alone and come to their own decisions based on reason. This is also similar to the rich, for "they do not sufficiently deal in general ideas, collected by impassioned thinking, or calm investigation."
There is no charm in ignorance. Reason is necessary for a woman to perform any duty properly, but sensibility is not reason.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Vindication_of_the_Rights_of_Woman#Sensibility
She argues that women who succumb to sensibility are "blown about by every momentary gust of feeling"; because these women are "the prey of their senses", they cannot think rationally.[39] In fact, not only do they do harm to themselves but they also do harm to all of civilization: these are not women who can refine civilization – these are women who will destroy it.
As part of her argument that women should not be overly influenced by their feelings, Wollstonecraft emphasizes that they should not be constrained by or made slaves to their bodies or their sexual feelings.[
Wollstonecraft may have been forced to make this sacrifice: "it is important to remember that the notion of woman as politically enabled and independent [was] fatally linked [during the eighteenth century] to the unrestrained and vicious exercise of her sexuality."[48]
Q4
Perhaps you have to go to extremes for change to be made and then it all falls into place in a middle ground. Propose radical change which seems too drastic but the compromise would be for a subtle change and that's a good thing.
Marth Nussbaum does this.
Q5
What are the undesireable female characteristics? emotions & hysteria?
I think that distinct roles and domains for woman and men functioned in "primitive" cultures (pre-industrialized might be the 'proper' term) and created harmony and balance. A team effort within the tribe to sustain itself. Each member did what they could do best to support the rest.
In a "civilized" culture no doubt men were trying to dominate and control woman, but not only woman they vie for power among themselves, within families, government and between countries.
After the war, when woman had been working, they wanted the right to choose to work , not be bound to the home because of lack of options. Unfortunately economics took advantage of this and now the cost of living reflects a double income. Families struggle between work and family.
Woman who choose work over home or vice versa or who are trying to balance between both do so out of necessity, self interest, expectations, self worth, pursuit of values etc...
It's allotment of time and energy and resources for the pursuit of happiness and prosperity
Having freedom of choice is important.
"It all depends on what you want out of life"
a quote from an Italian woman I met on a Boat in Venice.
Q1
or men are the "yang"to woman's "yin"
I sometimes wish there were more choices
I do not think duality is unhelpful, it is needed for balance.
Although it is not always harmonious
perhaps evolution requires friction
Q2
A. Oddly I did not hold it against Rousseau that he gave up his children.
So, for me I was not affected negatively in regards to receiving his ideas.
B. Throughout this course I have tried to understand what the message is in the text, what the author is trying to say; not to oppose or critique it. Although I prefer some texts over others. I am a newborn just figuring out what's going on before I piece together my own ideas.
C. I have been surprised at my lack of emotion , usually settling for the reasoning , "well that's how it was back then."
Q3
Sensibility means how I respond to ideas, actions etc...
The filter I use to determine right from wrong, moral compass etc...
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/sensibilitysensibility
Definition of sensibility
noun ( plural sensibilities)
- 1the quality of being able to appreciate and respond to complex emotional or aesthetic influences; sensitivity: the study of literature leads to a growth of intelligence and sensibility
- (sensibilities) a quality of delicate sensitivity that makes one liable to be offended or shocked: the scale of the poverty revealed by the survey shocked people’s sensibilities
Origin:
late Middle English (denoting the power of sensation): from late Latin sensibilitas, from sensibilis 'that can be perceived by the senses' (see sensible)http://www.users.muohio.edu/mandellc/eng441/snsbl.htm
The possessor of sensibility was likely to consider himself a rare exception among men, and to deplore--and treasure--his special affliction. One frequently meets such exclamations as the following: `Sensibility, thou source of human woes, thou aggrandiser of evils, had I not been possessed of thee, how calmly might my days have passed! Yet I would not part with thee for worlds. . . .' Mary Wollstonecraft's definition of sensibility . . . is typical: `To give the shortest definition of sensibility, replied the sage [in her tale, "The Cave of Fancy," Posthumous Works 1798], I should say that it is the result of acute senses, finely fashioned nerves, which vibrate at the slightest touch, and convey such clear intelligence to the brain, that it does not require to be arranged by the judgment. Such persons instantly enter into the characters of others, and instinctively discern what will give pain to every human being; their own feelings are so varied that they seem to contain in themselves, not only all the passions of the species, but their various modifications. Exquisite pain and pleasure is their portion; nature wears for them a different aspect than is displayed to common mortals.' (p. 101)
http://www.gradesaver.com/a-vindication-of-the-rights-of-woman/study-guide/section5/
Reason must be the same in men and women since it originates from a divine source, the Creator
A mind cannot be expected to expand when it is not threatened by adversity or the pursuit of knowledge "goaded on by necessity." The business of a woman's life is pleasure, but she will not gain wisdom from it.
The female sex is not much different than the rich because they are born with a set of privileges. Women are used to company and are rarely alone; this leads to the predominance of sentiments, not passions. They are not able to think and ruminate alone and come to their own decisions based on reason. This is also similar to the rich, for "they do not sufficiently deal in general ideas, collected by impassioned thinking, or calm investigation."
There is no charm in ignorance. Reason is necessary for a woman to perform any duty properly, but sensibility is not reason.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Vindication_of_the_Rights_of_Woman#Sensibility
She argues that women who succumb to sensibility are "blown about by every momentary gust of feeling"; because these women are "the prey of their senses", they cannot think rationally.[39] In fact, not only do they do harm to themselves but they also do harm to all of civilization: these are not women who can refine civilization – these are women who will destroy it.
As part of her argument that women should not be overly influenced by their feelings, Wollstonecraft emphasizes that they should not be constrained by or made slaves to their bodies or their sexual feelings.[
Wollstonecraft may have been forced to make this sacrifice: "it is important to remember that the notion of woman as politically enabled and independent [was] fatally linked [during the eighteenth century] to the unrestrained and vicious exercise of her sexuality."[48]
Q4
Perhaps you have to go to extremes for change to be made and then it all falls into place in a middle ground. Propose radical change which seems too drastic but the compromise would be for a subtle change and that's a good thing.
Marth Nussbaum does this.
Q5
What are the undesireable female characteristics? emotions & hysteria?
I think that distinct roles and domains for woman and men functioned in "primitive" cultures (pre-industrialized might be the 'proper' term) and created harmony and balance. A team effort within the tribe to sustain itself. Each member did what they could do best to support the rest.
In a "civilized" culture no doubt men were trying to dominate and control woman, but not only woman they vie for power among themselves, within families, government and between countries.
After the war, when woman had been working, they wanted the right to choose to work , not be bound to the home because of lack of options. Unfortunately economics took advantage of this and now the cost of living reflects a double income. Families struggle between work and family.
Woman who choose work over home or vice versa or who are trying to balance between both do so out of necessity, self interest, expectations, self worth, pursuit of values etc...
It's allotment of time and energy and resources for the pursuit of happiness and prosperity
Having freedom of choice is important.
"It all depends on what you want out of life"
a quote from an Italian woman I met on a Boat in Venice.


No comments:
Post a Comment